Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Make it Monday #218 - Watercolors with Die Cut Stencils

Hello friends.  Lexi Daly is hosting this weeks Make it Monday challenge over at Papertrey Ink, and has a great video on how to make stencils using your dies and then watercoloring over them.  Lexi did share the importance of making sure that the underside of your stencil is adhered firmly to your cardstock before watercoloring, and I thought I did that using a two way glue pen, but obviously not!  Oh well, only my "c" in the word "Congrats" didn't come out so clear, but I think you can still make out the word pretty well.  Take a look:


I probably used a bit too much water too, and that seeped under the stencil and caused the watercolor to bleed through.  Anyway, it is what it is!  I used the balloon stamp from Birthday Style, and Wonderful Words: Congrats is the die I used for my stencil.  Summer Sunrise, Spring Rain, & Limeade Ice were my ink colors.  A little bit of bakers twine and a few sequins finished this quick and easy card.  My brother in law turns 62 and retires next week, so this will be the card I send him.

You can check out Lexi's video and great cards, and all the info to play along with this challenge right HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today...I love it when you do! :0)

9 comments:

lexi said...

cute card - i love how you "attached" your balloons and you can definitely still read the sentiment! thanks for playing!!

Birgit said...

Your card is so sweet, Marcia! I love the colors you used and I especially love how you added the balloon strings! I'm hoping to try this challenge today. Your card is great inspiration!

Nancy Penir said...

Marcia, your balloons are fantastic, sweet masking! Love the twine and how you showcased the word. The knot's adorable. Pssst, don't tell anyone, but there's a white pen I use called Pen-Touch (white paint in pen form), that cleans up my flubs. I think I got it at JoAnns. Works great!

Colleen said...

Marcia, great job with the whole card...your masking with the balloons is awesome! I love how you put the twine through the word with the little knot too! Great tip from artful-notions! May have to check out that one myself!

Sue said...

So cute! I love it all...even the oops:). Your brother-in-law will love it too!

Darnell said...

I can totally read the word and your BIL will be delighted with your thoughtful card for these two milestone events in his life! I love it, Marcia!! Hugs, Darnell

victoria h said...

lovely card- really like the balloon strings attached that way.

Marybeth said...

It’s beautiful just the way it is Marcia! Love the masked balloons too! Yay for your BIL retirment!

Helen F. said...

Fabulous card, Marcia! Love the balloon strings tucked under the "congrats" painted sentiment!