Thursday, October 9, 2014

Make it Monday #183 - Dry Embossing Over Heat Embossing

Good morning friends.  Playing along with the Make it Monday challenge this week where Dawn McVey shows us how to dry emboss over heat embossing.  I pulled out one of my all time favorite PTI sets "Simple Sunflower" for this challenge.  I'm very limited in my embossing powders, and don't have any of the pretty colors Dawn used...I have just the basic white, clear, gold, and silver.  So I decided to let the cardstock be my color and went with Tangerine Tango and then white and clear embossing powders.  Take a look:


I had everything stamped and looking good, and then picked the wrong dry embossing folder!  I was trying to be creative and used a music note folder to match with the sentiment (Think Big Favorites #22), and this is what I got for trying to be creative:


The embossing folder embossed so deep it actually tore the cardstock in several places, but what I really didn't like was how it took away from the sentiment.  OK, lesson learned and try something a little less fussy for the dry embossing!  The dotted diamond folder I ended up using is from Darice, and I really do like how it just subtly enhanced the background of my card.  I also added a few rainstones to finish off my card.

There's still time to play along, so check out Dawn's video and beautiful card right here .

Thanks so much for stopping by and have a wonderful day! :0)

4 comments:

Sue said...

So beautiful! I don't have embossing powders in colors like Dawn either. Looks great. Too bad the music notes didn't work out.

Helen F. said...

Great card for this technique, Marcia! Beautiful stamp and EF choices for this bright colorful card.
PS: I have so many folders that cut too deeply also and cards end up in the recycle bin :-(

Mona Pendleton said...

So very pretty Marcia! The embossed sunflowers look amazing! The embossed background looks fab!

Birgit said...

Love the white sunflowers against the brilliant orange background.
My first attempt ended up in the trash for the very same reason... the impression was so deep, my paper tore as well. Your card came out gorgeous with the dotted diamonds.