Thursday, April 3, 2014

Merry Monday #102 - Mistletoe

Good morning friends.  This weeks Merry Monday challenge was a challenge for me in more ways than usual!  The challenge was to use mistletoe on your card...except I don't have a single mistletoe stamp or punch in my collection!  Luckily inspiration struck, and this is what I came up with:



Can you tell what I ended up using?  Maybe I should make a "challenge" contest out of this...leave a comment with your guess and I'll do a drawing for a small surprise!  Now back to the card!  I used Tag Sale #4 die (PTI) to place my mistletoe on, but since I knew I was going to place the tag on the same cardstock as the tag, I decided to use a technique I learned many, many years ago, to give a little color to the circle portion of the tag.  I crumpled saran wrap up into a loose ball and then pressed it lightly onto my stamp pad (Old Olive) and then onto my card stock.  (works really great with blue shades of ink if you want to make a nautical card!)  After attaching my mistletoe, I tied bows using a red plaid ribbon (Michael's) and some hemp cord.  I pop dotted the tag to my card base and then added my sentiment in Real Red to the bottom of the card ("Think Big Favorites #21 - PTI). I also added a few pearls for the berries to finish the card.  Very CAS, but I like the way it turned out!


There's LOTS of great inspiration from the design team and players over at the Merry Monday site, so make sure you check it out here .

Thanks so much for stopping by today and have a wonderful Thursday! :0)

13 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

Can't imagine what you used but your creation did use great imagination. Well done indeed.

Kristie Goulet said...

Awesome card. Did you use the bird punch from SU? Love the look of the tag using saran wrap. Great effect! Thank you for joining us at Merry Monday!

Katie Melhus said...

AH! Great minds :) I too had ZERO mistletoe in my stash, and I didn't even have a clue what it looked like! I think this punch works beautifully. So glad you're playing along this week at Merry Monday!

Debbie Henderson Debbie's Designs said...

Did you use crinkled up wax paper and inked for the background? It could be soooo many things! Love the look of it and your mistletoe looks great! Thanks for playing with us this week at Merry Monday!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Beautiful work perfectly done!

wienerhoneymooners said...

I love this Marcia!!! I think you are psychic, I actually saw this last night late and decided to enter this challenge, then I was reminded I was supposed to do a different card for a DT... zoinks...So your card inspired me, I will have to see if I can do the card I wanted tonight, I am done with that obligation, so I can play!!!

Love your card!!!

Susan Joyce said...

Good idea to use the Bird Punch from Stampin' Up! especially when you have to be creative. Pretty card. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

Bonnie said...

You did a fine job with the mistletoe even without a stamp, Marcia! Love that plaid ribbon! Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday!

Notes by Nina said...

Lovely card, what a fun technique. Thank you for playing along with Merry Monday.

1CardCreator said...

Wow, gorgeous and so original in design too! ~Diane

Linda said...

So clever ..... great use of the SU Bird punch, the branch makes fabulous mistletoe. Love the background too. x

anja curvers said...

Such a beautiful card great take on the challenge love the ribbon you've used.

Marie Bingaman said...

LOVE the saran wrap treatment! I decorated a birdhouse in that way a loooong time ago! :) Great design too! :)