Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Merry Monday #78 - Birds

Good morning friends.  Playing along with Merry Monday's today, and the challenge is to use any type of bird in your Christmas card.


Isn't that a pretty inspiration picture?  We feed the birds in the wintertime and I love the coloring of  cardinals against the white of snow...SO pretty!  Anyway, on to my card!  I have been wanting to use one of my new SU! stamps and this seemed like a good opportunity to combine the stamp, the chalkboard technique, and the bird punch (SU!).  Take a look:


Don't you LOVE this background paper?!  This is one of the designs in SU!'s "Season of Style" paper stack and the whole reason I bought the pack...it's just SO festive looking!  And I think it worked great as a background against my sentiment with the chalkboard technique.  I traced the tag shape from SU!'s "Chalk Talk" stamp (didn't have the $ to buy the die) on black cardstock, and then stamped this stamp with VersaMark and white embossing powder.  I then stamped off again with white Stazon ink and also sponged around the edges and all over the tag to give it the smudgy chalkboard look. I also used SU!'s new Stampin' Chalk Marker to make my lines around the edges of the tag...wish I would have bought a bunch of these markers as it works AWESOME!!  I used SU!'s bird punch with Cherry Cobbler cardstock, and sponged around the edges with Smoky Slate ink.  For the bird's wing, I embossed a little of the small flourish from SU!'s "Priceless" stamp set in white to make it mimic the chalkboard look.  I also colored a pearl with a black sharpie marker for the bird's eye.  I finished with a seam binding ribbon that I colored with a Copic marker (R39).  Quite a simple card, but I really like how it turned out! :0)

Make sure you stop by and check out all the beautiful cards and inspiration over at Lesley's site here

That's all for today friends.  Have a wonderful Wednesday and thanks so much for stopping by...I love it when you do! :0)   

12 comments:

Benzi said...

Gorgeous card! I love your tag with the chalkboard technique and it looks fabulous with that yummy bg paper.

Kathy said...

Very festive card - especially love the chalkboard look!

Bonnie said...

Wonderful, Marcia! I hadn't thought of using this for the chalkboard technique, but it's perfect! Especially with that wonderful bow! Thanks for sharing it with us at Merry Monday! Now I'm off to try to find that chalkboard marker. I hadn't seen that.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful card!

LeAnne said...

GORGEOUS! I love how you did the chalk, as well as the background paper! And the bow just tops it off! And aren't you clever to just make your own "diecut"! Thanks for playing with the MM challenge this week!

Marybeth said...

Oh my gosh! Yes…love this card and the paper..mine is on the way. Now I wish I bought two! This is truly a gorgeous card, I just love a tag card and the paper is wonderful!

Greta said...

What a great card! Wish we had cardinals in my part of the world--I've only seen one once that I can remember.

Karen Harris said...

Your card reminds me of a beautiful present all wrapped up. Absolutely gorgeous. TFS!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful card. Love the chalkboard stamp and pretty bird. I almost used the bird punch to make my card, but settled on the stamp. TFS

Notes by Nina said...

Wonderful card Marcia, I love the black against the stripped background.Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

Lesley said...

Wow, this is really lovely! That striped, diagonal paper is a showstopper paired with the sentiment and simple design! Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday!

Susan Joyce said...

I like how you made the chalkboard Marcia and the bird. Pretty CAS design. Thanks for joining us at Merry Monday this week.