Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Thank You Bouquet

Good morning friends.  I was woken up at 5:30 this morning by my almost 18 year old yelling "It's a snow day!  It's a snow day!  It's a snow day!"  Of course all the yelling excited the dogs who thought something great must be happening...let me just say it was not a calm and peaceful morning at our house! :0)  (and now she's back to bed and probably won't surface till noon...oh the life of a teenager!)  Ok, on to my card for today.  My good friend Sue gave me a wonderful stamp set and book for Christmas this year by Gina K called "A Year of Flowers".  It is SO cool.  The book is broken down into the 12 months of the year, and then features a different stamping technique each month using the different flower stamps.  The technique for January is masking, which I have done many times before, but usually when I'm trying to create a scene, and not with flowers.  So anyway, this was a great lesson, and I'm really thrilled with how my card came out!  Take a look:


Isn't it pretty?  The book gives you step by step directions on how to stamp the 2 lilies first, then mask them, and then stamp the tulips.  Then you need to mask the tulips also, before stamping the stems, and then the same before you stamp the leaves.  The book even gives techniques for coloring the flowers too.  Here's a closer up of the flowers:


I used my Copics to color them (Y11, Y17, & Y21 for the lilies, BV02 & BV04 for the tulips, YG03 & YG63 for the stems and leaves, 0 for blending, and C1 for outlining to give some depth).  I layered the white flower panel with SU's Wisteria Wonder and layered that on a piece of SU's Old Olive that I stamped using VersaMark with the tulip, stem, and leaf stamps.  I finished by layering it all on a white card base, and then added a sheer white ribbon (Michael's) and a little tag from PTI's "Tiny Tags" stamp set and dies.

I'm going to try and do one of the cards and technique's each month this year to make sure I use all the stamps in this set.  I have a terrible habit of buying stamp sets for one particular flower and then ignoring the others that come with the set.  Tomorrow's card will be an excellent example of this, so stay tuned.  And if you're in "my neck of the woods", stay warm and enjoy your snow day!  Thanks for stopping by! :0)  And thanks again Sue for this wonderful set...I really do LOVE it! :0)

1 comment:

Sue said...

It's beautiful and you are welcome! I knew you would love the book and the stamp set!!!